Saturday, May 9, 2009

Counting sheep

I am not sleeping. It's 4am, I just finished a big grant and submitted today, I just received notice of a big grant award this week...WHY am I not sleeping? I should be relaxed, relieved, joyous! The body confounds me...the mind boggles me.

We went to a local farm for sheep shearing day recently with my family. Shawn loved it and, since then, has been obsessed with the pictures from the day, insisting, "Sheep...sheep! SHEEP!" until I let him sit (AGAIN) and look at the pictures he's so in love with (AGAIN)...until I traumatize him into a 2-year-old meltdown 10 minutes later when I tell him it's time for dinner. I am astounded at his love of the simplest things in life. I think it must be that everything is so brand new...it's all a novelty. The whole world...his whole existence is still novel! I love that...and I think I want to try to approach things more in that way. To see things as new, beautiful...rather than taking life so for granted...I think that is one of the most simple yet awesome lessons he can teach me! Even the things I've seen a bazillion times can be new. The colors that day, the smell of the air in a moment. You know, I grew up on the Erie Canal and all we ever said was how dirty it was...never mind the amazing feat that is the Erie Canal. But we take it for granted. One fo the Seven Wonder of the World is an hour away, but do we ever really go and marvel at it...nah! It's just Niagara Falls...someone went over in a barrel again...who cares? How sad! God gave us this amazing world to love, care for, and wow about...but we don't...we just complain about the weather (No matter what! Too hot, too cold, too average!) and go through it all forgetting what a miracle this whole world is! No more...at least, I'll try!!

For now, I leave you with a few of the pictures that have been captivating Shawn:























No comments: